The purpose of this seminar is to:
- Provide the basis for identifying, protecting and capitalizing on intellectual property.
- Discuss the patenting process and procedures and technology management considerations as they relate to the licensing process.
- Furnish an awareness of the considerations, implications and values of technology licensing and the technology transfer process.
- Provide a process for identifying licensable technologies and for appreciating their ultimate value.
- Provide the framework for developing and implementing licensing business plans.
- Examine the license negotiation process and the components of a license agreement.
- Enable the enhancement of the value of a technology through effective intellectual property management and licensing.
The participants will be provided with the basics of intellectual property management and the licensing discipline. This seminar will help enable the participants to identify business situations where a licensing strategy could prove to be a valuable business option and when the input of a licensing executive or legal assistance would be beneficial. The seminar will help the participant with the identification an tapping of the often hidden value of their technology and know-how.
This seminar is intended for:
- Business Managers,
- Business Development Managers,
- Intellectual Property Managers,
- Technology Managers,
- Marketing Professionals.
Topics of Discussion
1. Introductions / Purpose of Seminar
- Trade Secret
- Intellectual Property
- Design Registration
- Technology Transfer
3. Patents - Business Considerations & Management
- What is Patentable?
- What Constitutes a Disclosure?
- When to Patent
- Alternatives to Patenting
- Patent Filing Preparation
- The Patenting Process - Some Important Elements
- Patent Ownership
- Patent Management and Decisions
4. Licensing Considerations & Technology Valuation
- Licensing as a Potential Business Option - Comparison to Other Options (Manufacturing & Joint Ventures)
- Conditions Favouring a Licensing-Out Strategy
- Situations Not Favouring a Licensing-Out Strategy
- Conditions Favouring Licensing-In Technology
5. Technology Valuation
- Establishing the Fee Basis
- 87 Factors to Consider for Evaluation and Pricing Technologies and Intellectual Property
- Forms of Payment for a License Business
6. Components of a Licensing Agreement
7. Licensing Executive Society Technology Transfer Video(s)
8. Licensing Case Examples
9. Developing a Licensing Business
- Steps in the Marketing and Sale of a License Agreement
- Creating a Licensing Business Team
10. How to License-In Technology
11. Summary of Important Points
12. Discussion & Reference Material