In the Winter 2001 issue of The Vertex Angle we asked
the following question.
"What do all of these inventions have in common?
Can you match the invention with the year in which it was invented?"
|A dough product for frozen pizza||1960|
|First disposable diaper||1908|
|Drip coffee maker||1914|
|Portable hair dryer||1979|
|Emulsified Rubber Asphalt||1962|
|Bone Marrow Compatibility Test||1903|
The common element of all of these inventions is that the inventor was a woman. This is particularly interesting, since until the mid-20th century, woman inventors were uncommon. The inventors and the patent dates a given below.
- Windshield wipers - Mary Anderson in 1903.
- Dandruff shampoo - Jose Stewart, also in 1903.
- The first dishwasher - Joesphine Cochrane in 1914.
- The first disposable diaper - Marion Donovan in 1951.
- A compact portable hair dryer - Harriet Stern in 1962.
- A dough product for frozen pizza - Rose Totino in 1979.
- The Melitta automatic drip coffee maker - Melitts Benz in 1908.
- Emulsified rubber asphalt - Elaine Thompson in 1982.
- The bone marrow compatibility test - Barbara Bain in 1960.
If you are not receiving The Vertex Angle and would like to receive it, contact us by E-mail or by phone 416-239-7779 and we will add you to our mailing list.